Sunday, January 27, 2008

what's cooking

Tonight, I'll be cooking a shrimp and scallop scampi on fettuccine. About the only substantive change I'll be making to the recipe I extracted (more on the word "extracted" in a moment) is that I'll be using green (spinach?) fettuccine, not the usual kind.

I say I extracted the recipe because I pulled it off a video of someone who goes by the handle "Chef Jean-Pierre." Once you get past the over-ebullient presentation and reconcile yourself to the fact that the video offers no amounts for the ingredients, the video's actually pretty good. Jean-Pierre lies, though, when he suggests the cooking takes only three minutes. By my reckoning, it's closer to twice that time, and when you add the prep time for the rest of the veggies (tomates concassées, the sliced shallots, etc.) and other ingredients, you're looking at around 20-25 minutes, I think. Still-- dinner ought to be ready within an hour.

The recipe, as far as I can tell, is this (again, it's listed without amounts, but by watching the video you can easily eyeball it):


SHRIMP AND SCALLOP SCAMPI ON FETTUCCINE


INGREDIENTS

shrimp
scallops
butter
garlic
shallots
green onion
parsley
cream sherry or chardonnay
olive oil
tomato
salt
pepper

fettuccine
water
salt



PREPARATION

1. Get your fettuccine going before you start the rest of this recipe.

2. Put some olive oil in HOT pan. Make sure oil is hot before next step.

3. Put in scallops. Add salt and pepper immediately. Sauté a few seconds.

4. Add chopped shallots. Scallops should be approaching golden-brown state.

5. Add shrimp. Sauté with salt and pepper.

6. Add garlic and finely chopped fresh tomatoes (boiled, skinned, chopped-- tomates concassées). Stir a second or two.

7. Add diagonally chopped green onion and a bit of parsley.

8. Add cream sherry or chardonnay.

9. Cook the whole thing for three minutes, moving elements around (esp. shrimp).


Watch the video here.

Watch for photos either tonight or tomorrow. I've got to iron some clothes, go shopping for some missing ingredients (what's "shallots" in Korean?) and hit the office. Once I'm back home, the madness begins.


_

1 comment:

Elisson said...

Try a fino sherry instead of cream sherry. Tio Pepe or La Ina are perfect with this sort of dish.