Thursday, November 15, 2012

death of a good friend

I've lost a faithful necktie: it was a flashy, abstract, blue/black/gray number that I had bought for cheap at Wal-mart many moons ago; it probably lasted about a year before it succumbed to time and use. I'm not sure whether anyone noticed that the blue tie I wore today was different from my usual tie; no one remarked on the change, at any rate, and it doesn't really matter whether the passing of a steadfast companion was seen.

The realization of my friend's death came suddenly earlier today, as I was whipping the tie around my neck: I noticed that the tie's bottom-- the fat end-- was wrinkled as if someone had pulled a string in the fabric and caused a bit of unraveling. That was, in fact, what had happened, but I'll be damned if I could say what, exactly, the tie had gotten snagged on. I tried to stretch and smooth the fabric out, but to no avail. The tie is effectively dead. Because I was in a rush to prep for work, I didn't have time to be sentimental, but now, in the quieter hours of early night, I have a moment to mourn. And to remember.

Rest in peace, faithful necktie.


_

3 comments:

Charles said...

Damn it, man, don't do that! I was scrolling down and just happened to glance at the post title and my heart dropped.

(Although I do understand how attached one can get to a necktie. I am sorry for your loss.)

Kevin Kim said...

C,

Sorry, dude. I shouldn't have been so flippant.

In other news: I finally replied to your questions in that old "Inception" thread, but don't expect anything substantive.

Charles said...

That's the problem with only catching post titles: no context. My distress, such as it was, was short-lived, though.

I don't even remember what my questions were in that Inception thread. I'll have to go take a look.