Thursday, April 04, 2013

two insights

A skunk farted somewhere a few miles away. I smelled the rancid odor upon exiting my car when I got home. The odor got worse when I entered the main door of my apartment building, then disappeared when I took the stairs and reached the second floor. Tonight's first insight, then, was that skunk gas doesn't rise.

Once inside, I reached into the fridge and found a plastic container full of ancient cabbage, sliced down nearly to its core, but with enough volume for at least one healthy serving of cole slaw. Some wispy black mold dotted the outside; I shaved it off with my chef's knife and marveled at how fresh the cabbage seemed. Second insight for tonight: cabbage keeps. Actually, I knew this already, but tonight's slaw-fest merely confirmed that perle de sagesse.


_

No comments: