Monday, May 06, 2013

training down to Yeosu Monday afternoon

So the gentleman from Chonnam U. wrote me back, finally, about whether I should come down to Yeosu for the Tuesday interview (originally, this was supposed to be a phone interview, but I offered to appear in person). He said Yes, that would be fine, so tomorrow I'm headed to Yongsan Station to take a 2PM KTX* express train down south to the coast, right to land's end. Exciting! I'll spend the night in a cheap-but-decent yeogwan, then take a taxi to the uni the following morning, in time for a 10AM sit-down that, I'm told, probably won't last longer than half an hour. Then it's back north to Seoul.

Not sure whether I can get Wi-Fi service while on the train. If I can, and if I have the presence of mind to bring along my spanking-new digicam, I'll be sure to blog some pics from the train while en chemin.



*The KTX train is a French-manufactured transport that is essentially the same as the French TGV. The ride feels exactly the same, for what it's worth. The peninsula-spanning trip to Yeosu will take about 3.5 hours, according to this schedule.


_

4 comments:

John from Daejeon said...

Have you let TPTB at Sookmyung know that you'd be interested if something opens up there?

Kevin Kim said...

What's TPTB? I know of the GEP (General English Program) at Sookmyung.

Honestly, I'd have mixed feelings about returning to Sookmyung, as much as I liked it there.

Meantime, I'm also responding to job ads from Hanyang-dae and Hanseong-dae here in Ansan and Seoul, respectively.

John from Daejeon said...

That would be "the powers that be" at Sookmyung. They have a posting on Craigslist for a new job dealing with young learners but with few actual working hours: Sookmyung TESOL is Now Hiring For Its YL TESOL as well as P&L TESOL http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=57082

This is one I'd consider throwing my hat in the ring for at Hankuk U.: http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=57125 They are even progressive: Interviews will be held on May 25. (Skype interviews will be arranged for those living outside of Korea.)

Full-time lecturers are required to teach a minimum of 12 hours a week, with overtime hours readily available. HUFS offers a competitive salary commensurate with degree and experience (approx. w36 mil.–50 mil. annually), the opportunity for promotions and longer contracts, rent-free/furnished single/couple/family housing (on campus), a one-way air fare for the applicant and his/her spouse, office space, private pension, and national health insurance. Full-time lecturers also receive paid vacation (approx. five months per year) and generous research incentives.

Kevin Kim said...

John,

I'm liking the HUFS ad; not so much the Sookmyung ad. I'd really rather not be teaching kids. The HUFS ad just came out yesterday, didn't it? Interesting. Yes, I'll give that one a go. Even though it's ostensibly for the department of interpretation/translation (I'm by no means qualified to translate Korean), the prof won't be required to do any professional-level translating. Looks to be a standard English "gang-sa" load.

Thanks for the heads-up. That makes three unis I'm going to apply to in the next 24-36 hours.