Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Professor Y responds to my questions

Professor Y, with her usual promptness, responds to my questions:



Dear Kevin,

My answers for your questions are as follows:


1. On what date should I arrive, and what will my housing situation be upon arrival?

Our fall semester starts on August 26th (Mon.) and the housing is usually provided a week before the new semester, this time, around 19th. If you arrive on 20th, I think you can enter your own house. We are going to have the Orientation for our program on August21st. I will give you the more detailed information about time and place later.


2. May I use my current Shinhan Bank account for direct-deposit of salary, or will I be issued a new bank account?

You should make a new bank account at Daegu Bank.


3. What does the CUD/FLEC academic calendar look like, and is vacation for 2 months or 4 months?

We do have a couple of vacation couses [sic] to teach but because there will be around 25 professors in our program, you don't have to teach if you don't want. Because the money is not bad, 40,000 won per hour, there's a competition. Our vacation program usually last 3 weeks, 2 hours a day, if you teach one vacation course, you can be paid extra 1,200,000won. Except teaching these vacation courses, you are free during the vacation. Therefore, I can say you can have 4 month vacation a year if you want. This is what we have done so far but I am not 100% sure that this will be exactly the same but I am sure around 90%.


4. Will I teach students younger than college age?

Basically no, you are supposed to teach the required university courses but there are some programs which need native English teachers and the students are not college age. Here again, you don't have to teach if you don't want.

Are these good answers for your questions? If you have more, you are always welcome.

Best regards,

Kyunghee Y



Delightful! So I have the option of having four months' vacation (unless the system drastically changes). Simeon had indicated that the vacation teaching gigs were coveted because they were well paid. W40,000/hour is a bit less than $40/hour, which is a hell of a lot better than what I'm getting now. All in all, I'm really starting to warm up to this job.


_

No comments: