Sunday, September 24, 2017

my boss's hapkido master's compound (+1)

The first seven pics below are from my boss's hapkido master's compound, where we had a company retreat. The eighth picture is from close to Anseong's main bus terminal, which is a 13-kilometer walk from the compound. Many of these pics show the same sort of orb weaver I encountered at almost the same time last year; this type of spider is apparently ubiquitous in South Korea. Sorry, once again, for my cell cam's inability to focus on the spider itself.









I have video of a whole community of spiders here.



2 comments:

Surprises Aplenty said...

I hope the retreat went well enough.

I find the best way to shoot those spiders is to wait for a freezing cold morning (literally around zero, not merely cold) and coax it - or simply lift the near dead thing - only some paper. Under those conditions,you can finally focus on the damn thing. Or buy a good camera with manual focus.

Kevin Kim said...

Interesting, Brian. I never considered how long the spiders would be out during the year. There does seem to be a "season" during which they're visible, now that I think about it. If they're out and sluggish during a cold snap, I'll try what you say. Thanks for the tips.