Thursday, May 17, 2018

a warning to those who vape

If you vape, you're doing it to address a major concern: smoking. Well, my apologies to you ex-smokers, but you now have another concern: exploding vape pens. The poor guy who died essentially shot himself in the head and caused a fire in doing so. Be careful. Danger lurks.

ADDENDUM: if you watch the video that accompanies the article, you learn that the device in question wasn't a typical vaping pen, but was instead a much larger "vape mod," which has a substantially bigger battery. This larger battery is what failed catastrophically, causing an explosion that (1) propelled pieces of the device into the victim's skull, (2) burned over 80% of the victim's body, and (3) set fire to the victim's home.



3 comments:

Charles said...

Cue national hysteria in 3... 2... 1...

Moral of the story: Don't try to overclock your vape pens?

On a more serious note, I think this was bound to happen at some point. Vaping, unlike cigarette smoking, has become a competitive sport, with people competing to produce more and more vapor. This is unfathomable to me, but apparently it is a big thing. (Just google "vaping contest" or "cloud competition" to see what I'm talking about.)

Kevin Kim said...

Competitive vaping, eh? People are wacky.

John John McCrarey said...

As you noted, the article is misleading because what exploded was not a vaping pen. I use pens, which are small and less powerful. I have NEVER heard of a pen exploding. Most of the mod-type explosions have involved unapproved modifications by the user.

Regardless, the death rate from vaping is nothing compared to the multiple smoking related diseases. I know vaping changed my life so much for the better.