Monday, September 03, 2018

sometime over the next two weeks

"Restructuring" is the buzz word for those of us who remain in our rapidly shrinking R&D department at the Golden Goose: by the end of September, we'll be down from a high of ten people to a mere four; we lost a staffer this past Friday. This "restructuring" could mean anything from our department's being absorbed into a larger department to the simple reassignment of tasks as our now-former boss's projects are nixed in favor of a more Korean vision of how to proceed. I've already heard from our bonbujang-nim that I'll be shunted to new work, but I don't have a clear idea on whether I'll be allowed to finish the projects I'm currently involved with. I suppose we'll see how things go over the next month or so. Stay tuned for more updates, either here at the blog's front or tucked away somewhere as a "frank" post. Hang in there. (I say that as much to myself as to you, Dear Reader.)



4 comments:

John Mac said...

The more things change, the more they remain the same. Which probably makes no sense, but it has a nice ring to it.

Nothing new on moving to the department where your boss is working now?

So, you have a contract and will be paid the same regardless I assume. I guess it will just come down to how much satisfaction you will derive from the actual work you wind up performing I assume.

Good luck either way. And remember, work to live don't live to work. Damn, I'm full of "it" this morning, am I not?

Kevin Kim said...

Nothing new on the department-moving front. My boss is taking his time settling in, and he's still unclear, after almost three weeks, as to what his new role in the company is supposed to be, which means he still doesn't know whether he even needs any underlings. Ah, well. My attitude, at this point, is "wait and see."

As I wrote to another friend via email, if I end up doing boring work for the Koreans, there are worse fates than being paid well to do boring work. The thing I care most about is paying down the last of my debt, which I am, in theory, still on schedule to do by early to mid-2019.

Charles said...

I'll offer some more platitudes...

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Life is like a bull--take it by the horns, and don't let what comes out the other end get you down.

Kevin Kim said...

Thanks, Charles.