Thursday, October 04, 2018

another bruised toe

It wasn't obvious when I got back from my latest Seoul-Incheon-Seoul walk, but I now see that the second toe on my right foot, the one next to my big toe, has bruising under the toenail. The damn thing only just grew back, and now it looks as though I'm going to lose the nail again. This is frustrating; I've lost three toenails over the past year (think: nails A and B, then nail B again after it grew back), and I'm starting to feel like a regenerating amphibian. Ah, well... it is what it is. The process of losing a toenail after it becomes bruised has proven painless, and I'm beginning to understand the cycle: the bruise darkens until black, then over the course of a few weeks, the toenail itself begins to sit more and more loosely on the toe, and then the day comes when you're using a nail clipper on the nail when you realize the nail is like a loose tooth that's ready to fall out. At that point, you have to wait a bit longer so as not to rip the nail out prematurely and cause bleeding; the nail's bond with the toe will eventually weaken to the point where you'll know when it's come time to yank the thing off.

So I've got dat goin' for me. Which is nice.

Want photos? The nail on my big toe isn't looking too healthy, either.



4 comments:

John Mac said...

I'm unclear about what's causing this. You didn't report any shoe issues that recall...

Kevin Kim said...

Yeah, I didn't think I'd encountered any problems en route, which is why I didn't say anything about my toes. The current discoloration took a week to appear. I'm hoping it'll return to normal, but last time around, I had light bruising that eventually darkened and led to toenails dropping off.

I'm guessing that a size 11.5 shoe isn't enough: I may need to move up to a size 12. Very frustrating.

John Mac said...

It's odd, but I also had to go from a 10 1/2 to an 11. I wonder if all our walking is elongating the feet?

Kevin Kim said...

You may be on to something. I speculated on that very point not long ago.