Wednesday, December 05, 2018

comet 46P/Wirtanen

We've got a comet entering our neighborhood; in principle, it's already visible. A link from Instapundit led me to this article about the comet, awkwardly named "46P/Wirtanen." A subsequent Google search led me to this page, which has more information. Finally, I found a chart with information from a Korean perspective as to when the comet ought to be visible in the sky; this was the page that informed me the comet is already visible (from 6:52 p.m. to 1:33 a.m.). In fact, as of this writing, the comet ought to be visible right now if you were to look toward the constellation Cetus (whichever constellation that is... Google Sky to the rescue!). A link from that page offered more specific information for today.

Happy observing.

ADDENDUM: dammit. Cloudy. I'll try again tomorrow, but we're enjoying a period of London-style weather right now, so no guarantees.



No comments: