Friday, May 24, 2019

da binge

Whoa! "Game of Thrones," Season 8, is already out on home video! I just barely managed to purchase the season before midnight, i.e., before my austerity for this pay period begins. (Actually, I'm breaking the discipline this weekend and next: this weekend, I'm visiting a friend I haven't seen in a few years; the following weekend, I think I'm going to do another nutty 60-kilometer walk out to Yangpyeong, so I'll once again have to spend money on meals and two nights at a motel.) This means I'll be bingeing the final season of "Game of Thrones" this weekend, and I'll have a review for you sometime next week. I also saw "Glass" last weekend, and I need to write up that review as well.

I already know that most people have been disappointed by Season 8. "Mixed bag" is the term I'm hearing the most frequently, along with variations of "bad writing" and "badly written." Despite my best efforts to keep away from spoilers, (1) I know how the Night King perishes,* (2) I know some of the main characters who will die, and (3) I know Arya and Gendry get back together (and possibly get together, if you know what I mean). I still have no idea how the finale actually ends, so there's that.

Anyway, on with the show. One YouTube commentator fervently hoped that Season 8 would show us Ghost, Jon Snow's giant direwolf, riding a dragon. I doubt that's going to happen.



*The fact that the Night King perishes isn't really a spoiler. The previous seasons have made it obvious that the Night King represents only a secondary threat while Cersei Lannister has been built up as the primary threat. I have to wonder whether George RR Martin will take that same tack in his books: thus far, his version of Cersei is little more than power-hungry; she comes off as petulant and not much of a strategist, unlike her shrewd brother Tyrion. I don't think she'll have the same stature, in future novels, as she has on the TV show.



1 comment:

The Maximum Leader said...

I go bad writing myself. The whole thing seemed rushed. It has made me sort of sad actually.