Sunday, September 08, 2019

walk: accomplished

I met up with JW and his son for a walk tonight. It turned out to be just under 18,000 steps, which is a modest walk if your threshold for a "decent" walk is 20K steps or more. We met in the Daechi neighborhood, near my place of work since I was at the office, toiling away; we then struck out for the Yangjae Creek, moved on to the Tan Creek, then walked out to the Han River before doing a U-turn and heading back to my place along a somewhat different path.

This will be the last time I get to see the Kang family until about November, as I'll be on the path for most of October. JW's son is getting taller; I hadn't seen him in over a year. JW's daughter, whom I didn't see tonight, is probably sprouting, too. She reminds me a lot of Justin Yoshida's adorable daughter.

JW is marveling at how the Han River path and the creeks attached to it are providing him with new, heretofore-unseen vistas. I'm gently prodding him to think about doing an end-to-end walk across South Korea one of these years, but he's a busy guy who's climbed fairly high in the POSCO ranks; he's responsible for a lot of people, which means finding the time to take a month-long vacation is almost impossible. So it was good to have even a brief opportunity to tromp some asphalt with him and the boy.

Weekend walk: accomplished. I need to do at least one more practice walk, maybe on Tuesday, before I do the huge walk during the Chuseok holiday.



No comments: