Thursday, April 02, 2020

look carefully

What's hilariously wrong with the following picture? Click to enlarge. It might take you a moment to see the problem, but when I noticed it, I couldn't help thinking that this was so classically Korean:


I used to think fry pan was another instance of Konglish. Then I found out that that's what the British call frying pans. I'll hang that one on the wall along with strange locutions like "pay rise" (pay raise), "drink driving" (drunk driving), "proving dough" (proofing dough), and so on. The collection is always growing.

NB: you could counter that one classically American problem is why hot dogs and buns don't come in packages with the same numbers of each.



2 comments:

John Mac said...

"Money, so they say, is the root of all evil today. But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that they're giving none away". Pink Floyd

That bothered me for years, it felt like the songwriter was forcing a rhyme. Silly Yank!

One size fits all!

Kevin Kim said...

"One size fits all," indeed, Only in Korea would you sell pots with lids that don't match.