Tuesday, June 23, 2020

beating a dead horse (but hear me out)

At this point, the online postmortems of "Star Wars, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker" have all come out. If you're like me, you've doubtless watched and read many, many opinions on the topic. Star Wars is a long-running story that began when I was but a drooling, clueless second-grader; it's been with me since childhood, which makes it all the sadder to see how clumsily it ended. This is what makes the online commentary about the films so important to people like me: we are (or at least, we were) emotionally invested in the saga, so we all want to know what the hell went wrong, hence all the videos and essays.

I just stumbled upon what may be the most comprehensive criticism of the ninth movie in the saga, and while it says many of the things I've heard before, I'm recommending it to you now because, well, it's pretty damn funny. While I wince to know that so much of the video's vitriolic humor is aimed at a once-beloved enterprise, I admit I had a good laugh all the same. It's an hour-long presentation; I just blasted through it at 2X speed, but feel free to view it at whatever speed you're comfortable with.






1 comment:

Charles said...

TRoS is the first mainline Star Wars film that I did not see. TFA just... broke me, I guess. It's weird to think that I am "over" Star Wars, but there you have it.

Still, since I have no plans to ever see TRoS, I will add this to my list to watch at some point, just to see what all the hubbub was about.