Monday, June 01, 2020

catching the Wave

So around 10:05 p.m. on Sunday night, I began a stroll over to Samseong-dong's COEX Center and World Trade Tower to see the Wave, the art project/display I'd blogged about earlier. I had thought that the Wave would be an all-day thing, a looped animation dispensing karmic comfort to the soul-weary (or is that Seoul-weary?). As it turned out, the Wave is but a one-minute animation that is part of a whole series of animations that do loop endlessly all day (and night) long. When I arrived at the huge monitor around 10:45, I was disappointed to see a forest scene on display, but I shot a quick video of that, anyway:


Once the forest disappeared, it was replaced by a series of unappetizing ads, but as I suspected, the Wave eventually showed up at almost 11:00 p.m. It caught me by surprise, however, so the following video is missing maybe the first 5 or 10 seconds of the animation. My apologies, but I think you'll enjoy what I did film:


The Wave did indeed look impressive up close. Too bad it doesn't loop all day long. And too bad you're once again seeing this lovely artwork through a camera's lens instead of with your own eyes. If you're in Seoul, go visit the COEX center and wait around until the Wave appears. You won't regret making the trip.

I took some other pics while I was out in the drizzling rain:



My cell-phone camera sucks for nighttime shooting, but there we are.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

That's really cool. What they need now are some water jets to provide the feeling of ocean spray in your face...