Wednesday, September 02, 2020

the end of capitalism?

I might append some rebuttals to this video by Joe Scott, but for now, give it a watch. Scott leans pretty hard to the left, so the video below is about as fair an assessment of capitalism as the man is likely to give. I think it falls prey to certain leftist assumptions about capitalism's flaws, but Scott ends with what I think is a cautiously positive assessment of the economic system that has helped to produce more human flourishing than any other such system in history. Scott tries, early on, to divorce capitalism from democracy, but if/when I write a rebuttal, one of the things I'll concentrate on is how and why it's fallacious to do so: a society based on a free market of ideas is a natural match with free-market capitalism (however imperfectly such capitalism is implemented in reality).






No comments: