Saturday, February 02, 2019

take two

It's been a good, long day of doing Not Much of Anything. My big toe stopped bleeding by late morning, and I spent the day doing little more than lying around and chilling. I'll be setting out tomorrow, then. In the damn rain. But with the rain now being with me for Day One of the walk, I'll have three beautiful days of walking to look forward to, and the poncho will be tucked safely inside the backpack (except in the evenings, when it'll be brought out and unfurled so it can continue drying).

Whoa—I see they're now forecasting "PM showers" for Wednesday, which is Day 4 of my walk. Assuming I'm out on the road by 5:30 a.m. that day, I ought to arrive at my apartment before the rain gets bad. If the rains come too early, well, at least I've got a poncho now.

About the poncho: I looked more closely at the wear and tear around the base of the poncho's hood, and... there are holes in the rubberization. To combat this, I'll be wearing my hat over the poncho's hood. The hat isn't waterproof, but the hat's brim will prevent raindrops from landing too close to my neck and sneaking inside. Wearing a hat over a poncho's hood might look weird, but I'm a pragmatist in this regard: function over form.

So: up at 5 a.m., out by 5:30 a.m., and arriving at the Baro Hotel by around 2:30 p.m. Don't expect too many photos on Day One; I'll be hesitant about taking out my phone in the rain. Maybe if I'm under a bridge or something...