Tuesday, October 08, 2024

all that's left is the crown: Monday's dentist session

Yesterday, I went to Gangnam Severance Hospital for Part Two of my root-canal treatment. As before, there was a lot of digging and grinding, but no real pain except for maybe a twinge at the beginning when the anesthetic was applied. I was allowed to take pics of the results of the two X-ray sessions I had yesterday; you can see them below. After the secondary Roto-Rootering of the teeth, and before the filling was applied:

See the channels going into the root canals where my nerves used to be?

And this is what things looked like after the filling:

Plugged. Here's hoping there are no more problems.

All in all, it was a painless procedure, and the professor said the next step, going back to my local clinic and getting the crown, wasn't urgent. I simply needed to avoid chewing food too much on the right side. Thus far, there's been no real post-appointment aches and pains, but maybe that's partly because I'm trying to be careful.

I made a weird discovery, though: the last time I'd come, the machine had printed out documents that weren't for me: I'd simply and blindly taken whatever was printed out on the assumption the sheets had been meant for me. Not so, as I discovered: both sheets had unrecognizable names on them (different names, too, for two different patients!) as well as unrecognizable patient numbers. I handed the sheets over to the front-desk girl (again, not the surly one from my very first session); she gamely put them aside in a lost-and-found kind of way. I used the machine again to pay my bill, and this time, I watched everything carefully to make sure it was my own name and number being processed and printed out. Everything seemed okay this time.

Next step before leaving: hit a restroom. I found one, went into the stall, and saw this sign, which I've never seen in a toilet stall before:

As a former infection-control worker, I'm actually happy to see the warning, which basically says, in the middle, to close the toilet when flushing. In infection control, one of the things you learn about (aside from the constant mantra to wash your hands) is how toilets, when they flush, tend to aerosolize their contents. Shit and piss are literally being sprayed out of the bowl and all around. I personally am not very conscientious about closing the toilet bowl, but if I'm shitting and sitting down, I'll often flush after wiping while I'm still seated. I do need to be better about closing the bowl in other situations.

So the doc, in saying goodbye (she again spoke English the whole time), gave what seemed almost like a big, sentimental speech about how I should come back if I ever have any other trouble. She wished me a good walk (despite not having decided on whether to go on this walk, I had told her I was walking the Nakdong River trail as a way to prompt her to get the root canal done more quickly), and that was that. I hit the machine, paid the rest of my bill (when all was said and done, it was indeed about W400,000 total over three sessions: intro, Root Canal 1 Part 1, Root Canal Part 2), went to the bathroom, saw the above toilet sign, then cabbed to work. All that's left to do is the crown, and I can apparently do that much later.



2 comments:

  1. Impressed with the total cost. Never had a root canal, but in the US, I assume this would be a couple of thousand (maybe 10x your cost)? Is your cost after insurance? If so, what is the pre-insurance cost? If not, how do they manage to keep prices so low in what is basically a 1st world country?

    Thailand is heavily promoting both medical and dental tourism. I think that the prices are on par with what you paid in Korea and that is w/o insurance.

    Medical costs are crazy in the US, and it is not all simply due to higher labor costs.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't wait too long to get the crown. If you happen to eat something sticky, it could pull out the filling. Happened to me once.

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.