Wednesday, October 09, 2024

Happy Hangeul Day!

We're off today to celebrate the development of hangeul, the Korean alphabet, by Great King Sejong and his council of scholars in the 1440s. An alphabet is far easier to learn than thousands of Chinese characters; Sejong's intention was to give knowledge (and thereby power) to the people, as well as a sense of national unity. The king sent scholars all over Asia, to Tibet and other places, to learn about their writing systems. The result was hangeul, promulgated to the people.

On the second day of my long walk this past weekend, I ended up at Yeoju, the city where King Sejong is buried. I wish I could have stayed to witness Yeoju's festivities; I can only imagine that Yeoju does it best when it comes to commemorating hangeul.

I'm writing up my two-trip right now; this is my top priority today. The posts will be out tonight on my walk blog; the second post will relate my decision, after much thinking, as to whether to do or to cancel the walk this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.