Sunday, April 19, 2015

my new baby

About that "recent purchase" to which I'd alluded in my previous post—here it is:


Behold my new Braun 7-in-1 Minipimer 7 MQ 735 hand blender. Sounds as though I'm rattling off the serial information for a new rifle, right? Well, this baby is, in a way, a new part of my cooking arsenal. One of the things I told myself I'd do, before moving over from Dongguk to the Golden Goose, would be to start buying the equipment and furniture that I'll eventually be using in my new, large apartment near Daecheong Station. Stock up now, store it now, then move it all in when the time comes to move.

As I wrote previously, the Braun is what allowed me to make today's pesto—and what a lovely pesto it is, made of pine nuts, mixed nuts, romano cheese, olive and canola oil, fresh basil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. I plan on making some shrimp pesto pasta this coming week, along with a caprese. I had wanted to make the caprese tonight, but I forgot that I'd used up all my remaining tomatoes to make my slow-cooked bolognese sauce. That was an interesting experience: I dumped most of the sauce ingredients into the slow-cooker (tomatoes, onions, fresh basil, fresh parsley, shredded carrot), then used my new immersion blender to blitz them into a proper sauce. Later on, I added oregano, chopped portobello mushrooms, and browned ground beef (drained of fat, of course, and nicely spruced up with salt, pepper, and chili pepper). In any event, I need to go buy more tomatoes.

Meanwhile, I'm ecstatic to have this new addition to the kitchen family.


_

5 comments:

SJHoneywell said...

We just bought a similar little device. Great for making salsa as well.

If you're into peppers and capers, let me know--I'll send you my recipe for puttanesca.

Kevin Kim said...

Steve,

Sure, I'll gratefully accept the recipe for that whore's pasta. Thanks. Korea is the land of peppers of all sorts, and strangely enough, there's no shortage of capers at the local grocer's (although it's a toss-up as to whether the capers will be more Spanish, French, Italian, or whatever).

John from Daejeon said...

What's with the onions? I thought they were a no-no to your taste buds.

Kevin Kim said...

John,

Hard to imagine a spaghetti sauce without onions, especially a bolognese. I'm okay with onions as long as they've been blitzed to a fine powder. I just can't stand finding chunks or large slices in my sauces, burgers, or pizza.

Kevin Kim said...

John,

Hard to imagine a spaghetti sauce without onions, especially a bolognese. I'm okay with onions as long as they've been blitzed to a fine powder. I just can't stand finding chunks or large slices in my sauces, burgers, or pizza.