Saturday, July 15, 2023

l'inhalateur

I was racking my brains, trying to remember the French term for the device—which I've only ever seen in France—used by the French for unblocking their stuffed noses. I Googled a clumsy French description: plastic thing you fill with hot water, then breathe the steam to unstuff nose. But Google's AI understood what I meant and directed me to a whole page of images of the device I was thinking of.

un inhalateur

The French term for this is an inhalateur, or an "inhaler," although the English term has different connotations ranging from Vicks Vapo-Rub to that bullet-shaped mini-dildo that you cram up your nose and inhale through to unblock your sinuses. Further research shows we Americans do have roughly the same device as the inhalateur, often called a "steam inhaler" or a "sinus inhaler." I've just never seen it used in the States.

My first encounter with the French inhaler dates back to my first-ever trip to France in 1986. I must have caught a cold or something because when I told my French family I was suffering from symptoms and had a bit of a stuffy nose, they whipped out the inhalateur, filled it with boiling water, directed me to stick my nose into the flared cone, and told me to just breathe. Worked like a charm. In that same session, they brought out French aspirin, which came in big, flat, coin-sized discs called comprimés ("compressed," but it's a noun) that worked just like Alka-Seltzer, i.e., effervescent tablets. I learned a lot about French culture that day.

I'm thinking of buying an inhalateur. I suppose I could jury-rig one if it came to that, but most of the stuff I MacGyver ends up looking pretty ugly. Meantime, I'll see what I can do with my trusty-dusty neti pot. A little nasal irrigation never hurt anyone.*

__________

*I just tried looking up "steam inhaler" in English on Coupang, and I had to laugh: Korea has steam inhalers, but they're sold here as skin-care products. Ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.