Thursday, July 13, 2023

remember when I wrote about the "pube" yeogwan?

Some years back, I wrote about my experience staying at a cheap, filthy yeogwan in downtown Seoul, back when I was dirt poor and still deep in debt. Here's a video by Jimmy Kim that brings back those old, unpleasant memories, so you no longer need to imagine what I went through: you can see for yourself.

When I walk across the peninsula, the quality of my lodging varies greatly, with some skanky accommodations along the way. Most of the places I stay at are tolerable if a bit grungy, but some are memorable for their filth, and I try not to think too hard about my surroundings. When walking the Four Rivers path, I end on more or less of a high: my accommodations in Yangsan-si (second-to-last waypoint on the trail) are always nice, and it's easy enough to find decent lodging close to Busan Station on my final day. I'm fine with the grunge; at the end of a day of walking, I don't want to do much more than lie in bed and rest, so I'm not too picky. I bring in my own bottled water in most cases; I've also got my own toiletries for brushing my teeth, etc., so all I really need is a nice supply of toilet paper—and I often have my own supply of that as well. Just give me a bed with no bedbugs, few hairs, and not too many mystery stains. Decent Wi-Fi and a plug for charging would also be nice.

Enjoy the above video, and welcome to my world.



No comments:

Post a Comment

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.