Sunday, October 08, 2023

wear and tear

Do you remember what my shoes looked like when I first got them?

September 5, 2023: new shoeses

Since then, I've worn the Skechers on 14K walks twice or three times per week. So let's say that's 2.5 times per week (on average), 14K each time, and a conservative four weeks. That's 140K walked right there. I also did three nighttime 33K walks with these shoes, from Yangpyeong to Yeoju. That's another 99K of walking. Then over Chuseok, I just did 64K of walking. So:

140K + 99K + 64K = 303K.

The official length of the Four Rivers trail is 633K. Half of that is 316.5K.

Having thus walked nearly half the length of the Four Rivers trail already (and in the total above, I didn't count random walking while working at the office), I think I have enough data to say something about these Skechers. Look at the pic below:

I tend to supinate* when walking, so on both shoes, you can already see significant wear on the outer, forward parts of the soles close to the toes. Note the heels, too.

So far, there's been no wear and tear on the sides of the shoes, which is somewhat surprising. While I hadn't thought hard about this before, it occurs to me now that there ought to be holes somewhere by this point, and there aren't. Maybe I need another 300K for that.

Overall, my Skechers experience seems to match that of commenters like John Mac who say their main issue is how quickly the shoes' treads wear out. The shoes remain comfortable, and they're fine for really long walks as long as you don't do those walks back-to-back.

__________

*The article talks about how problematic supination can be. I've been doing it for years, and it hasn't really affected my distance walking, so I'm not too worried about it, but I might be interested, all the same, in getting orthotic insoles that correct supination.



No comments: