Sunday, July 28, 2024

rainy day, visit to Insa-dong

I've been slowly prepping a care package for a friend who's on the verge of getting her doctorate degree. I made her an etched glass plaque, and I'm shamelessly sticking some merch into her care package: a 2023 Kevin's Walk tee shirt (I'm guessing she's a medium) and a copy of my tiny book (or booklet), Think Like a Teacher. I also drew her two little brush-art pictures: one of my crazy, laughing horse; and one of Dalma-daesa (Bodhidharma) which, admittedly, is not my best work, but that'll do, pig; that'll do.

I wanted to make the brush art into scrolls, so I went to Insa-dong, the touristy art district, Saturday afternoon. The sky couldn't decide whether it wanted to clear up or piss down hard; I got a bit of both, but I kept my art well protected from the weather. The old scrollmaker's place I had visited years ago was long gone; I found another shop devoted to a variety of arts and crafts. It was run by a friendly old couple, and I was told the scrolls would cost me W70,000 apiece to make (I paid on the spot), and that I could pick them up late next week, around Friday. I get the impression that the scrolls aren't put together on site; the store seemed to be exclusively for selling wares; any atelier was probably somewhere outside of Insa-dong.

There's little else to do with this care package, which is almost totally prepped and ready to be sent out with a "Don't open until graduation!" warning. I hope my old friend, whom I haven't seen in decades, appreciates the gifts.

Before I forget: the distaff half of the old couple is a talented artist. She showed me one of her pieces, which looked a bit like a collage done in a style that married traditional imagery with modern techniques. It was amazing work, and I felt a bit ashamed coming into her shop so presumptuously to talk about getting my cartoonish brush art turned into scrolls. She complimented my images, but I think she was just being polite. My scribbles don't hold a candle to what she produced. I didn't think to do it on Saturday, but next week, if I remember, I'll try to get a photograph of her work when I pick my scrolls up. Part of me wanted to buy the lady's work then and there, but it wouldn't have been cheap. It's not so much that I admired her work (truth be told, I did admire it) as that I was humbled by it.



1 comment:

  1. "It's not so much that I admired her work (truth be told, I did admire it) as that I was humbled by it."

    I can relate. That's how I feel about your mastery of all things grammatical.

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.