Friday, May 27, 2011

staring down the barrels of a 4-day weekend

YB isn't open this coming Monday, thanks to Memorial Day, so after working today, I've got a four-day weekend ahead of me. That means study time. I started going through the first of my GRE books yesterday; it was somewhat reassuring, after I perused some of the early sample problems in the intro chapter, to realize that my time at YB has made me a sharper test-taker: the skills that I've been teaching my high schoolers work just as effectively for me as they do for the kids.

This Sunday, I'm meeting one of Mom's old friends for lunch. I don't think this is going to be a happy discussion. She's bringing along her two grown kids (50-something and 40-something); my brother David will be representing our clan along with me. I'm just hoping to get through this as quickly and painlessly as possible.


_

4 comments:

SJHoneywell said...

Ug. This is why I attempt to avoid most familial entanglements. "Quick" and "painless" doesn't happen in Clan Honeywell.

Kevin Kim said...

Yeah, I have a feeling that this lunch may drag on a bit. It's going to entail a conversation I've already had several times with other relatives and friends. I'm starting to get tired of this.

Charles said...

Good luck in your studies, and good luck navigating the shark-infested waters ahead.

Kevin Kim said...

Thanks, Charles. Luckily, it's for only a couple hours. I'll keep a tight smile bolted onto my face.