Wednesday, July 15, 2020

a new travel companion

Saw this little critter during a walk Tuesday night:


Yes, Poison Girls: that's a crab. Now, I know that there are land hermit crabs and aquatic hermit crabs, but this is the first time I've seen a crab-crab just chilling next to a bike path, sixty kilometers from the ocean. Is it some sort of river crab? Is it a full-on terrestrial crab? I have no clue. Any biologists among my readership should feel free to pipe up right about now. The crab was perfectly still when I happened upon it, so I initially thought it was dead. When I leaned close to get a decent shot of it, though, it started moving. I got a photo before the crab went anywhere (sorry for the blurriness), but my camera's video function doesn't have a "nighttime" mode, so I ended up deleting the crappy footage I managed to shoot.

Tuesday night's walk was the first walk of any significant distance since my toe infection. Only 11,000 steps, but a guy's gotta start somewhere. It was a perfect night for walking: we're in mid-July, but the night was surprisingly cool, and the sky was just scoured by a thunderstorm on Monday, leaving Seoul's air-quality index in the teens and in the green. I'm still thinking about doing a long walk around 1 a.m. this Saturday morning: five hours to Hanam City, then take a 6 a.m.-ish bus back to my neighborhood. If the nights during monsoon season are going to be like this, then I might as well take advantage of that situation.



No comments: