Tuesday, September 27, 2022

it's the final countdown (cue cheesy synthesizers)

My tee shirts arrived today, and I got an extreme haircut!  See here at the walk blog.

My flight down to Jeju Island is at 2 p.m. tomorrow, and there's not much left for me to do. Packing for the trip will be absurdly easy; I'll be doing it tonight, but if I waited until tomorrow morning, that wouldn't be a problem.

What's left to do?

• go over my Google spreadsheet and make sure Sheets 1 and 2 have matching information
• put together all my old-man pills for the trip
• wash clothes 
• empty out garbage so there's nothing to stink up the place while I'm gone
• make sure my air filters and other electric/electronic devices in my studio are off
• shut my toilet valve (I do this every trip)

As they repeatedly say in "Bridge on the River Kwai," there's always one more thing to do. And knowing me, I won't remember that thing until I'm halfway to Gimpo Airport. So tonight will be devoted to minimizing the Murphy, as I like to call it: reducing the chance that I'll forget something crucial in the morning. This means laying out travel documents and running over my checklist one more time to make sure I've packed everything. Obviously, I won't be buying any water until I'm on Jeju Island: no need to tote that extra weight across the country.

I'm looking forward to losing weight as I walk. It's going to be very tempting, during the short period between the Jeju walk and the Andong Dam walk, to want to go nuts and eat a suitcase of doughnuts or something, but I'm going to do my best to rein my appetite in and stick to healthy food, as painful as that will be. And once both walks are done, I'll immediately visit my doc, tell him the sad story of my stroke, and hope he continues prescribing me the meds that the hospital had prescribed to me. I don't think my A1c number will be as low as I'd like it, but it shouldn't be too bad, either. (I could improve my A1c by delaying the doctor visit until November, with the understanding that I'd be seriously dieting during the delay period.)

Just a reminder that, starting tomorrow, all my blogging will be exclusively at Kevin's Walk 6, so look for updates there. It's sad that this blog will once again fall short of 20,000 visits for the month, but hey—numbers are numbers.

While I'm on the trail, you're still free to visit this blog and pore over the archives, which can be found on the right-hand sidebar. The blog has a search window up top, so you can look up whatever you desire: movie reviews, political memes (those seem to be the most popular thing on my blog, which is depressing because they're the least original thing I slap up), thoughts on religion, etc. There's plenty there for the curious.

Meantime, see you at the other blog!


PS: I might get you through the end of the month by scheduling posts to appear over the final three days of September—the 28th, 29th, and 30th.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

Good luck! I think we are going to have fun on Jejudo!