Thursday, July 13, 2023

just listen to this part

I've cued up the following video to 54:02, where Vivek Ramaswamy talks about his own modest proposal for voting:

As Vivek notes at the very beginning of this interview (go back and watch everything from the beginning if you want), his given name is actually pronounced "vee-VEYK," not "vee-VECK." He doesn't mention this as a matter of pedantry (as I would), but just as a statement of fact. Tim Pool, in introducing Ramaswamy, had pronounced the man's first name correctly, for which Ramaswamy then expressed his appreciation, all while acknowledging that most Americans won't get it right, and he's okay with that. A lot of Koreans, facing Amurrican ignorance of Korean phonetics, often similarly give up and tolerate, for example, the mispronunciation of the the surname Kang to rhyme with the American English "sang" when in fact it should rhyme with "sahng."

Anyway, I've made a mental note to pronounce Vivek's first name correctly. Add that to other names I've been mispronouncing for a long time, like Tolkien

ADDENDUM: note that Vivek says his opinion on voting is something he's thinking about, not an official part of his presidential platform.

ADDENDUM 2: here's the comment I wrote after watching all of the above video:

I like Vivek a lot. My only worry, when he talks about his ideas for tying voting rights to civil service, is that there's a sinister whiff of the Chinese social-credit system in there. I don't think the Chinese problem is necessarily a huge threat, but if Vivek's system were to be misused, the potential damage could be great. I'm not offering this as a criticism: I'm basically with Vivek on just about everything he said in this interview. But as he continues to flesh out these ideas of his, I hope he takes time to consider the threat of Chinese-style social credit as one possible abuse of the system.



3 comments:

  1. I've always pronounced "Kang" as "Kong." Have I been wrong all these years? Even worse, I had a Kang on my staff, and as with all my Korean workers, I never used first names, it was Mr. Kang, Ms. Chae, etc.

    At least I had the Kims right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the "o" in "Kong" sounds like an "ah," then you're okay. If it sounds more like the "o" in "song," which really sounds like "sawng," then that's close but wrong.

    song
    long
    wrong
    bong

    —all sound like "awng," but maybe certain Americans speaking in a certain dialect (Bostonians?) might say all those words as "ahng."

    Anyway, dialect or not, the "a" in Kang sounds like "ah," not "aw."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I might have been okay then. Coincidentally, I also had a Ms. Song on the team...

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.