Monday, July 01, 2024

"carnivore" bread, first attempt

I attempted Chris Cooking Nashville's "carnivore" bread (see video). My loaf didn't have the oven spring that Chris's bread had, and that's undoubtedly because I over-whipped my heavy cream until it was practically butter. Still, my bread didn't come out quite as bad-looking as I feared, so here's a picture of the modest loaf:

"carnivore" bread

Technically, there isn't supposed to be any dairy in the carnivore diet, so Chris is stretching the meaning of the term "carnivore." The bread is, however, perfectly keto.

Here it is, out of the bread pan:

And here's a cross section:

a decent, bread-like crumb

Here's a closeup of the crumb:

The bread certainly had a spongy texture. Here's another look:

And lastly, here's an attempt at a keto bologna sandwich:

a keto bologna sandwich... rather small

The bread smelled eggy while it was baking, and paradoxically, it felt spongy and moist after cooling, but it tasted dry. Out of the oven, it also never lost that eggy aspect (the recipe calls for four eggs, separated) in terms of both smell and taste. All in all, though, it's a clever recipe, and I suspect the bread would work best for things like grilled cheese and (as Chris recommends) Texas toast, but I'm not all that excited about eating it as regular sandwich bread. It's not inedible (in fact, I'll be bringing it in to work), but it didn't wow me. Granted, that's partly my fault for not having executed the recipe correctly. Anyway, for me, the search goes on to find the best keto bread recipe. I will, however, be trying Chris's recipe for hamburger buns in the morning. I have four burger patties in the fridge, calling my name.

To see Chris's recipe, go to this document and scroll to the third page. Or watch Chris's video, linked above. Chris's hamburger-bun recipe is also in that three-page document.



No comments: