Wednesday, July 10, 2024

woke up from a weird dream

It's rare for me to remember the content of my dreams. Often, when I wake up, I'm left with fading echoes of emotion, e.g., if I wake up crying from a sad dream (sad dreams happen a lot, alas). But every once in a while, I'll wake up remembering parts of the dream itself, images and events, and that seems to have happened this morning.

It was a death dream, and per the mythology given to us in the 80s movie "Dreamscape," I woke up before my dream self died. But I remember that I was on my way to Hades.

In the dream, I had participated in some "Squid Game"-type scenario, and I'd just lost. The competition had involved some weird activity like tobogganing down a hill on a shield, and somehow, I'd lost along with someone else. The penalty for loss was death. The rules of the game were ironclad, and I'd known them going into the competition. What struck me, though, was how friendly the people running the game were. With bland and smiling detachment, they handled my own grinning, half-hearted attempts to get out of the punishment, which was death by asphyxiation. Not hanging or anything horrific like that: I was placed in a room with my fellow game-loser, and we were given a small brazier and a paper-wrapped package of something or other. The door to our room was shut, and the expectation was that we would light the package, breathe in the fumes as it burned, fall asleep, and die. 

There didn't seem to be any rush about any of this, and there was no audience to watch us. My partner and I had some kind of discussion, and it was agreed that I would light the package, and we'd both lie back and just breathe, making an effort to sleep as the fumes eventually took us. The means to light the brazier had been supplied, so it was just a matter of starting the fire. I did so, and we lay back. I stared at the ceiling, willing myself to try to sleep and wondering what death would be like. 

Somewhere in the back of my mind, though, was a sense of horror and crushing inevitability, as well as the knowledge that I was essentially doing this to myself willingly. I'm not sure, but I think that, as the horror grew in my head, something rebellious arose in me, something that quietly but desperately clawed for life, and that's why I woke up, relieved that this had only been a dream. I'm still left with that weird, unpleasant feeling of being complicit in my own death, in a society where this was just a ritual, and everyone was friendly about what was happening. There's still a kind of subtle horror in my mind that I can't quite shake. 

Anyway, I'm glad to wake up from that nightmare. Maybe someone will come along in the comments and provide the Freudian or Jungian interpretation of what I'd experienced. 



5 comments:

  1. Damn, man. I don't have time at the moment to lay out a detailed interpretation (even though the wheels are already spinning in my mind); I'll just say that the dream sounds very disturbing. I can't imagine you would have been in a great mood after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm constitutionally against suicide, which may be one reason why I began rebelling against the dream. But it was weird and disturbing to be dreaming of almost blithely committing suicide to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troubling dream, but quite simple when viewed from a Freudian lens. According to Freud, we are pulled in opposing directions by Eros and Thanatos. Looks like the death drive, as represented by Thanatos, got the better of you last night. This instinct towards self-destruction and demise is within all of us, no matter how sunny our disposition or how strong our opposition to suicidal impulses (which also take many forms). I believe this Freudian framework, combined with your recent health scare, somehow fused together to create the hellscape that you found yourself trapped within. I'm guessing the organizers of the game represented the nonchalant medical professionals who go about their business with nary a care for the patients they are tasked with treating? I'm sure there are better interpretations for what took place, but that appears to be the simplest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well! Thank God it's not some sort of unresolved lust for my mother or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember most of my dream either, but damn, a dream like the one you describe would keep me awake at night. Just to be on the safe side, if you get an invite to go sledding, just say no!

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.