Friday, August 16, 2024

sorry for the lack of photos

I heard that my brother David has arrived in Seoul. He somehow managed to get an Airbnb inside my very building, on the 7th floor. He's brought along a lot of equipment and will be remote-working while he's here (he does video production for a PR firm). He's also going to be here for about two weeks, so he may have a chance to meet some of my friends and one or more of my relatives.

My brother Sean came by with his husband Jeff, and I regret not getting some pics of Jeff while he was here. David is supposed to come by later this evening. Sean and Jeff had been on vacation in Germany when my heart attack interrupted them; they're leaving Korea this coming Tuesday. David, who I finally know lives out West in the States (following a dream of his), still works for the same PR firm, but remotely. My own company could use someone of David's massive talents, but they'd likely not credit him for his work, pay him too little, and steal his ideas. None of the textbooks I've helped to coauthor has my name on the front.

I've been Skype-texting with my buddy Mike in Northern Virginia, and I've been in touch with people from my small community of blog readers, including my friend Neil down in Masan, my friend Charles here in Seoul, commenter Daniel S. (whose remarks on exogenous insulin have led me to ask my docs some pointed questions), John McCrarey in the Philippines, and even my old student Nathan, whose family I'd met last year. (Nathan isn't a constant blog reader, and I didn't give him any details.) It's nice to realize the extent of the supportive community around me, even if I remain the same stubborn, old introvert.

The cardiac doc came in today—looking like some minor rock star with this retinue of quiet, submissive young ladies—and, consistent with the Korean style of doing things, shamed me about not walking laps around the ward. When David gets here, I told him, I'll walk some laps. Hell, I've walked across this tiny country four fookin' times, not counting the east-coast and the Jeju/Andong walks. I'll get back up there. Sometimes, the docs think they know you, but they don't. And Koreans, being impatient, like to force things.

Well, it's an open question as to which will arrive first: David or my dinner. I'm going to request Western food for the remainder of my stay. I want to show the docs something.



2 comments:

  1. I definitely want to drop by at some point. I probably won't be able to visit you in the hospital, as I have thing going on through next Monday, but after that I should be able to swing something. Let me know what works for you (you can drop me an email when convenient).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really great that you have family and friends around you during this difficult time.

    I was pleasantly surprised that some of my blog readers who only know you through your comments also expressed concern for your well-being. Yep, you are a popular guy.

    Notwithstanding the attitude, it's a good sign that the doctor wants to see you up and walking about during your hospital stay. I'm curious about what Daniel said about the insulin.

    Is David's location in the West secret? I love the Western states, and Arizona is my favorite place I've lived in the USA. Montana is the best state I've visited. Or maybe David stole your idea of living in Wyoming? Anyway, it's none of my business; just curious.

    Good luck on your continued journey on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.