Friday, July 03, 2020

Blogger says...

Thanks to a commenter, I went over to Blogger's message page to see the details on the changeover from "legacy" Blogger to "new" Blogger. Here's the skinny:

We’ll be moving everyone to the new interface over the coming months. Starting in late June, many Blogger creators will see the new interface become their default, though they can revert to the old interface by clicking “Revert to legacy Blogger” in the left-hand navigation. By late July, creators will no longer be able to revert to the legacy Blogger interface.

So by late July, we will all have no choice but to be moved over to the new Blogger format. If so, then as I'd written before, I'll work with it for a month while seeking other blogging platforms. When that month is over, I'll either stay with the new Blogger or jump to an entirely different platform—one where I will have already started building a blogging presence. It seems like a brusque, unsentimental to say goodbye to a blogging platform that has been decent to me for years, but Google isn't leaving me with much of a choice, alas.

Perhaps I should invest time in following Hillary Clinton's injunction to those coal miners and just learn to code. Creating my own blog and hosting it on my own server might ultimately be worth it despite the huge amount of time, effort, and expense involved.



No comments: