Friday, July 03, 2020

in answer to John Lee's question

Blogger John Lee tweets:


In answer to John's question, which I originally saw over at ROK Drop, I provide the following answer, which I left as a comment at ROK Drop:

I go through certain daily annoyances as a half-Korean living in South Korea, and that's because, despite 15 years in country, I'm still unrepentantly American in thought and action. I feel I understand a lot more about the culture than I did when I first arrived in the 90s, but there are still some sticking points, e.g., general rudeness when it comes to either ignoring or being mindful of your fellow man. I missed the hate-America phase back in 2002; I came back to Korea that year, but I was too late for most of the demonstrations, the bigoted restaurant signs, and anti-Western attitude problems. I'm also not a military guy, so I've rarely had to deal with the dirty looks and surly dispositions reserved for the US military. I also don't frequent Itaewon or any sort of bar scene because I'm a boring asshole who doesn't drink, so you'll never find me involved in bar fights. Instead, I go distance-walking along the beautiful riverside and creekside bike trails, and I'm very thankful that South Korea has such a network for us walkers (shameless plug: walk blogs here and here).

Overall, I'd say there are many reasons to love my mother's country, and I feel comfortable living here, despite minor irritations and conflicts due to cultural static. Korea has been undeniably good to me, and in general, Koreans have proven to be kind, friendly, helpful, and open. They have certain annoying characteristics, but to be fair, Koreans who live in the States have similar complaints about us Yanks. Who resides in a godlike position to judge the "objective" goodness or badness of a culture and a people? We can only judge from our own perspective. I might think the current leftist politicians in both the States and South Korea are fucking stupid, but that thinking doesn't apply to how I view the regular folks—the ones who work hard every day and simply want to live happy lives with their friends and families. I certainly don't hate Korea; I have a long list of complaints about the country, but most of those complaints aren't serious, and if I lived in a different country, I'd end up with a long list of complaints about it, too. That applies to living in the States as well: there's plenty of infuriating bullshit that comes with living in America (ever visited the local DMV?). But just because a place has faults doesn't mean you can't love it. More on that in a bit.

To answer John Lee's question more directly: is SK still unfriendly to foreigners? I'd say the general answer is no, but that answer is based on my narrow, introverted perspective as a quiet dude who prefers Korea's beautiful scenery to hanging out in bars and confining my daily travels to Itaewon. (Fortunately, there are many expats like me who actually take an interest in the culture and the landscape, and who are willing to explore more than just one district in Seoul.)

Knowing some of the language definitely helps: it makes life easier and allows for a bit more insight into the culture. I can't understand the expats who spend ten years in country and can barely string a sentence together in Korean (I've heard all the excuses for not bothering to learn the language). In the publishing house where I work, I interact in Korean all the time with our in-house designer and other Korean staffers. My feeling is that learning the language is a way of saying "thank you" to the country that feeds, clothes, shelters, and pays me. Korea keeps me alive, so how can I not be grateful?

Overall, I'm very much enjoying life in Korea. I have friends and relatives here, I'm generally OK with the work I do, and the country offers a huge smorgasbord of things to explore. I'm at the point in my life, at age 50, where I have to think seriously about where I'm going to die, and my two choices are South Korea and the States (although I wouldn't mind dying in Switzerland, to be honest). South Korea feels like home, and I love the country enough to feel I could fight and die for it if necessary, even as out of shape as I am. If war ever starts while I'm here, I won't run. I'll crack a few invaders' skulls first. So I guess it's not just a matter of "I enjoy living here," but a matter of feeling some level of love for and loyalty to the land and its people—not that I would ever betray the country of my birth, but you get what I'm saying. Of course I'm disgusted by peninsular politics and politicians, but no country is perfect in that regard, and there's more to life than goddamn politics.

I hope that answers John Lee's question.

Post scriptum: if you click over to the "foreigner-friendliness" map that is linked in John Lee's above-embedded tweet, you'll quickly realize there's some rank bullshit going on there. Here's the map below, for those too lazy to do any clicking (source credit):


Click on the map to enlarge it. Meanwhile, here are my problems with the above image:

1. I get that Canada might be more foreigner-friendly (FF) than the USA. Scandinavia, too. But Mexico? Just because Mexico is ethnically diverse (a fact that the liberal scolds who worry about "racism against Mexicans" continually forget) doesn't mean it's FF.
2. Yemen is as FF as Canada?
3. Japan is more FF than both the US and South Korea? Nonsense.
4. Mali is as FF as Canada? You don't say.
5. Switzerland is more FF than France??? Do you even know the Swiss?
6. Is the map seriously suggesting that South Korea is less FF than North Korea?

I could go on, but I don't think this map is worth shit. I'm morbidly curious to know what metrics were used to determine the respective degree of FFness of a given country, and what survey methodology was employed. Okay, strike that: I'm not curious at all. This is garbage.



3 comments:

John Mac said...

I enjoyed living in Korea and was also impressed with the beauty of the land. Even in the big city, open spaces were made park-like and flower pots lined the streets. Of course, when I was working for the US military I spent my days on the base which was like being in an American town with access to all the comforts of home. And yeah, I spent most nights in Itaewon so I get what you are saying there too.

But I retired and married a Korean woman and wanted to stay in Korea, at least half the time. When the marriage failed I decided it was time to move on. I miss that life though. If it were cheaper to live there and if the women were more attracted to older white guys I'd definitely prefer Korea over the Philippines.

Anyway, the only problems I had with the Korean people were usually involving taxi drivers and sidewalk pedestrians. I don't believe Koreans are unfriendly and unwelcoming.

Charles said...

I agree that some parts of that map are suspicious, and that "foreigner-friendly" is a very difficult thing to qualify anyway, but North Korea (along with a number of other countries, including what appears to be at least a third of Africa) is not in light blue, it is in gray. I presume this means they have no data for it, which would make more sense than it being listed as more foreigner-friendly than SK.

Kevin Kim said...

Would've been nice for the map-makers to have made that clear in the map legend. As for color: I have a shitty pair of monitors in the office, so I didn't see the color as gray.