Thursday, July 09, 2020

to boil, or not to boil?

I'm making lasagna pasta for tomorrow's lasagna (which is itself an effort to get rid of a ton of spare red sauce I'd made over a week ago). The question is whether to boil the fresh, flexible pasta before building the lasagna. Answers vary, and there are vocal adherents of both schools of thought. Right now, I'm leaning toward the "yes, boil it" camp, which argues that the pasta gains a bit of bite and resistance (and, therefore, texture) through the act of boiling it (and, according to some, the act of letting the boiled pasta sit for a bit before you begin stacking your lasagna layers). The most convincing video I've seen on the subject comes from Adam Ragusea ("rah-GOO-see-uh," not "ragù say," as I'd been mentally pronouncing the surname):


The "no, don't boil" camp appears in these search results.



No comments: