Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Redditor replies

On Reddit, I got the following chat message from the lady at r/Homeschool who'll be leading a discussion about my book (slightly edited for style):

Hey! Just wanted to let you know I saw your message! Fully understand and noted! I as well will strive to keep things understandable yet leveled in my feedback. :D 

I think a reply from an author for questions that may come up is great! Keep in mind if you just get too busy, I'll be taking care of my thread as professionally and as respectfully as possible! But when you can chime in, I look forward to it! My goal here is to help ya! 

I feel the definitions of schooling are shifting and folks like you and me could be a part of it! I see it as being on the same team! And about the books? I got lucky! Both are perfect! Thanks for the heads up! (Lucky for me I plan to donate one to a local lending library at a park nearby... ever heard of those?)

So maybe I needn't have worried, but we have yet to hear from the discussants. As for the message she's referring to, I wrote:

Thanks for doing this, however opinions may swing. My hope is that the book (well, booklet) provides certain basics without being too radical. I really don't think I say anything particularly crazy in it, but I guess a reader's mileage may vary. Also: as the book's author, I know there's a temptation to want to jump in the thread after someone makes a critical remark or otherwise expresses disagreement. I will avoid that temptation and remain silent (unless someone poses me a direct question) so that others may have the floor to discuss or dispute the book's ideas without any interference from me. Again, thanks.

Kevin Kim, Think Like a Teacher

PS: oh, and if your hard copy of the book had any quality issues, I apologize. I am, frankly, not that impressed with Amazon's print-on-demand service. I ordered two copies of the book for myself and saw uneven margins and poor text alignment. Also, with the second copy I ordered, two pages of the book just fell right out, indicating very bad binding. I had to manually glue the pages back in. I hope your own copy of the book didn't give you that much trouble, but if it did, I apologize on behalf of Amazon.



No comments: