Monday, March 21, 2022

the "Hannity problem"

I don't follow Fox News, and I've seen maybe two Sean Hannity clips on YouTube. This Reason article, though, talks about what it terms a "Hannity problem" or a "Hannity trap" that has engulfed the GOP, to wit: the GOP, faced with war in Ukraine, is giving in to its old, reflexively neocon ways, showing an enthusiasm for war reflected by Fox News anchor Sean Hannity (the article warms up slowly, taking a while before it even mentions Hannity). These neocons are precisely the sorts of entrenched swamp creatures that Trump tried and failed to oust, and even a second Trump term, should Trump win one, won't do the job, I fear: draining the swamp is a process that will take years and years of constant, dedicated effort—and that's only if we talk about cleaning up the GOP, assuming the GOP is even around in the years to come. Add to that the problem of today's far-left Democrats, and you're looking at decades of swamp-draining. Me, I'm not confident that a true cleaning-out of Washington is ever going to happen, not unless you gather all the swamp creatures in one place and burn them all with a flamethrower. Even then, you have to wonder what chumps will replace the one's you've just burned away. From where I sit, there's little cause for hope.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

I don't follow Hannity either. I don't march lockstep with anyone on the issues of the day, I tend to make up my own mind and don't give a shit what a pundit has to say about it.

As for draining the swamp, I share your cynicism. Take one swamp rat out, two more are there to replace it. I'm not sure when in our history the bureaucracy became entrenched and corrupt. Hell, maybe it has always been that way. Short of a revolution I see absolutely no hope that things will ever change.