Wednesday, September 14, 2022

pie, received

I dropped my apple-pineapple pie off at Charles's residence and enjoyed a slice with him and his wife (i.e., we three all ate some pie; I did not eat a slice of pie and then proceed to devour Charles and his wife... besides, Charles is too thin to provide much meat, and if fat is flavor, as they say, then Charles would be pretty tasteless, whereas I, by contrast, would be awesome to serve at a luau). Charles offered some baking tips that might prove useful for subsequent pies: use less water in the dough and refrigerate the pie shell for 30 minutes after crimping to help the shell retain its shape (I see that Preppy Kitchen recommends almost the same procedure, and so does Chef Jean-Pierre, who emphasizes the dough's need to relax). 

Here are two pics from the visit:

Charles stole his wife's slice of pie to get his pictures.

"That's my Pi!" (Revenge of the Nerds, in case you missed the reference)

Charles declared the pie a massive disappointment, so he'll be feeding the rest of it to some local prisoners. He and his wife gave me back both the pie tin (more like a pan for making jjigae) and a plastic container from when I'd given Charles and his wife a batch of boeuf bourguignon. In an attempt to kill me with sugar and insulin spikes, Charles included some mini-Reese's he obtained during his recent trip to Texas; I'll be eating those over the next day or two. I had thought about walking home from this get-together (about 17K), but with stuff to tote with me, I decided to just cab home because I have a thing about distance-walking while holding anything in my hands. I'll walk a few hours tomorrow.



3 comments:

Charles said...

I should note that the monkey was also disappointed at not getting any pie. All around, a perfect fiasco of a visit.

Oh, and my plans to feed the pie to local prisoners has fallen through. Something about "cruel and unusual punishment." Looks like we might have to eat more of this ourselves. Ah, the suffering!

Kevin Kim said...

Well, you can lessen the misery by heating the pie up and serving it with ice cream. Too bad about the monkey. Serve him up with ice cream, too. To the prisoners.

Charles said...

Hmm... that would be a "fashionable" way to serve it, wouldn't it. Maybe I should pick up some vanilla ice cream on the way home.