Monday, August 05, 2024

well, that was unexpected

I woke up today with a big, nasty blood blister on the inside of my big toe. My right foot's been a bit swollen again, and I wonder whether the foot swelling and blister might be connected. They say that heart-failure patients can suffer from swelling of the ankles, so I'm not sure whether the foot swelling and blister are related to heart failure. Maybe they are; maybe not.

Disgusted by how bloated the blister was (and unnerved by its seemingly sudden appearance), I decided to lance the thing. I have a sharp dental hook that I often use instead of flossing; I thoroughly washed the hook with an alcohol pad, wiped down my toe, then placed a Kleenex between my toes to absorb whatever was about to come out of the blister. With that, I sank the dental hook's tip into the blister. Having done stuff like this before, I knew there'd be no pain: the blister's "dome" was nothing but dead skin, with no nerves to worry about. What I wasn't ready for, though, was the little geyser of nasty liquid that came out of the puncture. It looked like a mixture of blood and pus, but it had no pus-like smell. I squeezed the blister to get as much liquid out as I could, then I wiped it down again with an alcohol rub, dabbed at it with a tissue, and covered the whole thing with a large bandage.

This evening, I'll minister to the puncture again. I'm hesitant to remove the dead skin right now: whatever new, delicate skin lies below it might not be ready for exposure to the air. So I may go a day or two before I decide to cut away all the loose, dead skin of the blister. My normal policy with blisters is Don't fuck with it, but this one was abnormally huge.



No comments:

Post a Comment

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING!

All comments are subject to approval before they are published, so they will not appear immediately. Comments should be civil, relevant, and substantive. Anonymous comments are not allowed and will be unceremoniously deleted. For more on my comments policy, please see this entry on my other blog.

AND A NEW RULE (per this post): comments critical of Trump's lying must include criticism of Biden's lying on a one-for-one basis! Failure to be balanced means your comment will not be published.