Tuesday, June 07, 2016

today's lunch

Here's a pic of one of two bacon cheeseburgers that I ate for lunch:



Mushrooms, lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo. Burger patties were made my way: with ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili flakes, oregano, and olive oil for higher fat content. I find my burgers are a lot more savory when I make them this way. My brother David, by contrast, prefers to stuff his burgers with huge chunks of raw onion, which doesn't even cook through on the grill. Horrific. See here.


_

2 comments:

Charles said...

Although I do not share your distaste for large chunks of onion, I have to agree with you here about not putting them in hamburger patties. Not only do they not cook through, but they compromise the structural integrity of the burger.

Never thought of adding olive oil to a burger.

Kevin Kim said...

Agreed re: structural integrity.

Adding sin upon sin, David also mixed in bread crumbs when forming his patties. Bobby Flay might be a royal prick, but the grillmaster is right that, when making burgers, "we're not making meat loaf." I understand there's a school of thought that says bread crumbs help the meat retain its juices, resulting in moister burgers, but I think you're messing with the burger patty's essential DNA when you introduce bread crumbs to the mix. (That said, and at the risk of being hypocritical, I don't mind eating such burgers, as long as they're truly moist and have no onion chunks in them.)