Friday, June 03, 2016

tonight's penance

After an abnormally carby night last night, and essentially the same carbiness for lunch today (the beef burgundy was a hit with my coworker), I've got to do something to make up for all the bad karma I've been generating. I walked over 33K steps this past Wednesday; I'm going to be hiking up my old, feared enemy, Daemosan, this coming Sunday; tonight, I'll be undergoing about half an hour of hell as I climb my building's staircase, from B1 to 26, twice. Two times up the stairs will equal one Namsan. I stopped three times when I went up the stairs before; we'll see how many times I stop tonight.

Because my building's as short as it is, I have to either climb back down the twenty-six floors, after I reach the top, or take the elevator back down. Luckily, there's a little-used freight elevator that's tucked away off to the side, away from the main bank of elevators; this one runs vertically parallel to the huge staircase. Since I'm keen to avoid stinking up the regular elevators, I'll likely take the freight elevator back down to B1, assuming I choose not to walk back down. Either way, the descent will give me a chance to catch my breath; I wish there were some way to walk the required height without having to take an enforced break in the middle of the walk, but this seems to be about the best I can do. Ah, well.

I'll be sure to report on my gasping, sweat-soaked misery later this evening.

UPDATE: Tonight's penance will just have to be tomorrow morning's penance. I was falling asleep by the time I got home. There was simply no way I was going to do the trudge.


_

4 comments:

Charles said...

I fully expect you to flagellate yourself the entire way up the stairs.

Kevin Kim said...

Isaiah 53:5: "...by His stripes are we healed."

Anne said...

Hello, Kevin,
I've been randomly checking into your blog for - oh, too many years to count. Cheers me enormously to find you same as ever. Keep on as you are, and take those steps easy.

Kevin Kim said...

Thanks, Anne! Stop by often.