Friday, March 16, 2012

the modularity of bullshit

Thanks to a friend on Twitter, I've been alerted to this: Write Your Own Academic Sentence. My favorite part: the "Edit it!" button, which shows that all these terms are interchangeable to such a degree that the bullshit never resolves itself into clarity. For instance, if I select the following phrases to plug into a sentence--

the gendered body
the gaze
eroticization
construction

-- I can generate this sentence:

The eroticization of the gaze invests itself in the construction of the gendered body.

Then by repeatedly hitting the "Edit it!" button, the above can be reshuffled to create:

The construction of the gaze invests itself in the eroticization of the gendered body.

The eroticization of the gendered body invests itself in the construction of the gaze.

The construction of the gendered body invests itself in the eroticization of the gaze.

The eroticization of the gaze functions as the conceptual frame for the construction of the gendered body.

I feel... exalted.


_

2 comments:

Elisson said...

I feel - eroticized.

Charles said...

I feel... confused. And depressed.