Sunday, August 12, 2012

back in Appalachia

Just returned home from Alexandria; am now safely back in la montagne. Taking care of Sean's house and dog was fun while it lasted. I actually got to see Sean today; he took me out to lunch at Mark's Duck House, where we ate a deep-fried pork dish that was quite, quite scrumptious-- along with the regular lunchtime dim sum. I drank about a gallon of oolong tea (I admit I prefer it sweetened, so I sugared my tea up) while we talked about everything under the sun.

It's not often I have a chance to sit down and relax with Sean, who basically works seven days a week. I'm thankful for whatever opportunity I get to be with him. He has my best wishes regarding his big audition (Kennedy Center Opera House) later this month. He even shared a bit of grapevine scuttlebutt with me regarding the magnificent tenor Placido Domingo, who is director of the Washington National Opera: the man is apparently a terrible conductor. Well... not all movie actors are cut out to be directors, either, so I guess this isn't surprising.

Anyway, I'm back in my hobbit hole like Samwise Gamgee. Gonna settle in, do a bit of ironing, replace my bedding (laundered gratis at Sean's place), then read half of What-the-Dickens by Gregory Maguire, a novel that's been assigned as summer reading to some of our YB students. A weekend of quiet awaits.


_

No comments: