Wednesday, April 30, 2014

challenging my skepticism

My supervisor has suggested I try a local Chinese-style herbal clinic that's in town (probably a haneui-weon/한의원). He went there to get a problem resolved and came out of the experience a believer. From what I gather, there's some acupuncture involved, plus some palpations and medications to aid ki flow. I've been skeptical of this sort of medicine for years, but a clinic visit doesn't sound expensive, so I may as well give it a shot.

I had initially wanted to go to the Chinese clinic this morning, but (1) when I initially got out of bed at 8AM, I was in too much pain; and (2) after taking my meds and going back to bed, I woke up around 11:30AM, which made me too late to visit either my own clinic or this new place. So perhaps this afternoon, or sometime tomorrow, I'll give the new place a shot. Maybe the witch-doctor will just unblock a jammed ki-meridian and poof—the pain will miraculously disappear. As I wrote before, I'm not afraid to use myself as a lab rat, and I'm curious to see how my experience will (or won't) dovetail with my supervisor's.


_

No comments: