Sunday, April 29, 2018

today, we watch the "Infinity War"

Whenever there's a big movie event, the son of JW, my Korean buddy, always wants to rope me in to see the movie with him. This has become something of a tradition over the past few years: JW, the boy, and I have seen "The Force Awakens," "Rogue One," and "The Last Jedi" together. These are December films, but this year, in April, Marvel has put out "Avengers: Infinity War," the tentpole film to end all tentpole films, apparently—at least until the movie's continuation comes out next year. JW's boy was on the phone with me last night, talking excitedly about the movie. I had to cut him off several times because he's already heard all the spoilers from his classmates, who had, of course, seen the movie when it first came out in the middle of last week. I've tried to stay spoiler-free for the past month, which has proven to be more difficult than I thought it would be.

The plan is to meet JW and the boy at 2PM in Apgujeong today. We'll watch the movie, then JW has this idea that we're going to walk from the movie theater all the way back to my apartment, after which we'll seek dinner. The walk is less than 12 kilometers, according to Naver Map, so I don't think this will be a problem for me, but it might be a problem for the boy, who has proved to be a bit whiny on previous walks. When the boy passed the phone to his father, I asked JW whether his son would be all right with such a long walk, and JW said, "I'm doing this to test the limit of his patience," i.e., to see how much he's grown up since that last long walk over a year ago.

I'm thinking of sweetening the deal for the boy by serving dinner at my place instead of going out to a restaurant: I might go grab some beef at Costco, plus some trimmings, and we'll do burgers, which I've done before with this crowd, and which were a hit last time. Or, if I'm feeling lazy, I'll suggest that we mosey over to the local Brick Oven Pizzeria, which a coworker recommended to me last year.

In the meantime, you can expect a movie review from me, probably later today.



No comments: