Friday, January 01, 2021

bad omen?

Every New Year's Eve, the Jamshil Lotte World Tower, currently the tallest building in South Korea, does its version of the Times Square ball drop:  the entire building becomes a huge light show; a digital countdown timer for the final sixty seconds of the year appears on the building's enormous flank; at exactly midnight, the lights go crazy, and fireworks erupt orgasmically into the night as Seoul's largest phallic symbol ejaculates in celebration of the switchover to the new year.  Back when I lived in Apartment 637 of my building, I had an eastward-facing window that gave me the perfect view of Lotte World Tower.  No longer:  I'm now in a westward-facing studio that offers a lame view of construction going on up the street.  But if I go through the fire doors next to the elevators on my floor, I can find eastward-facing windows and look out at the Tower.  About 90 seconds before midnight last night, I started recording the Tower in anticipation of the fireworks.  Here's what I saw:

I can only surmise that, in a time of pandemic-related restrictions, with people not being allowed to gather en masse, there's little point in celebrating the new year.  That's a demoralizing beginning to 2021.  Let's hope this doesn't herald another year of disasters.

ADDENDUM:  Charles declares himself ready to just move on.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

Yep, the sheeple here were denied officially sanctioned firework displays too. The rebels amongst them did their own.

Hope springs eternal. Best wishes for the new year!