Saturday, January 09, 2021

Navient finally recognizes my triumph

Here's a snapshot of the congratulatory email I received from Navient, the company that has managed my scholastic debt ever since it took over for Sallie Mae (those are supposed to be animated fireworks, by the way):

I clicked on "Tell us your success story" and took a lengthy survey that asked a lot of questions about how I got through my debt repayment.  At several points, I was asked to write at length about my insights; one field asked me to offer suggestions to other people currently paying down their debts, and I was happy to offer a long list of dos and don'ts.  In related news, the credit agency that has been monitoring my credit score also reported that my credit rating has gone up since it received word that I had zeroed out my scholastic debt.  Once my credit card gets paid off in the next couple of months, my credit rating ought to be stellar.

Am still looking to treat myself to a decadent buffet.  Victory is sweet.



2 comments:

John Mac said...

Congrats again on your accomplishment!

Regarding the buffet, curious if COVID has changed the way food is dispensed there? There was a very popular (with Filipinos) buffet here in Barretto that has not reopened. I assumed it was because buffet-style restos aren't allowed yet.

Kevin Kim said...

Different restaurants are responding in different ways. Some require a temperature check and a sign-in. Some don't require anything. Yesterday, we had a company lunch at a local restaurant, and all we did was get seated and eat. I do know that business hours have been scaled back so that closing time is 9 o'clock across the board.

Thanks for the kind words. Feels good to be free of the shackles.