Friday, February 17, 2023

all insuranced up

I finally got automatic debiting set up for my new insurance policy. Ever since I ended my contract with my company on January 20 (we're currently negotiating our new contracts, so I'm in No Man's Land for the moment), I've lost my company-funded insurance. This automatically defaulted me to the national insurance policy; I didn't have to sign up or anything. The only lingering question was payment via automatic debiting. I got a document saying to call a certain number, but every time I tried, a computer voice told me that all the representatives were busy. The document showed an alternate number for foreigners, so I called that one, pressed "1" for "English," and got through right away (I guess the Korean-language number was snowed under by the majority Korean-speaking populace). It didn't take long to set up the auto-debit. I was warned that the first debit would be for two months' worth of insurance (because of course), and that was that. So health insurance is now something I pay out of pocket because my company now views me as a freelancer. Whatever. I'm fine with that. At least I know I'm covered should anything more happen to me, as it inevitably will.



1 comment:

John from Daejeon said...

As I've become a short timer topside on this planet, I've noticed that I'm needing more and more work done. I'm no longer new and shiny but outdated, prone to breakdowns, and no longer under warranty.