Thursday, November 23, 2023

incipient stuffing

The stuffing's been made, baked, and taken to the office. Here's the stuffing, from last night, after the separate components had been cooked or otherwise prepped, then thrown together before the addition of the savory custard (cream + eggs + seasoning + parsley):

Croutons, pan-fried panko, celery, mushrooms, crushed boiled chestnuts, raisins, sausage, and apples (done up as apple-pie filling). After the above got mixed, I dumped the custard onto the pile and stirred it again before letting it rest so that the bread could have a chance to absorb the liquid. Another stir, then everything was piled into a large tray and baked gently for over an hour (there was, as it turned out, a lot of liquid). The result—and you know I had to eat a sample—was quite delicious. My stuffing usually is.



6 comments:

Charles said...

So your stuffing is basically a savory bread pudding? Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen stuffing done like that before.

Kevin Kim said...

My use of custard is pretty recent. Normally, I'm a make-it-on-the-stovetop kind of guy.

Charles said...

I don't really make stuffing unles I have something to stuff it into, as otherwise I find it kind of dry. But going the savory-bread-pudding route seems like an interesting way to achieve moistness. I may have to try it sometime. I like sweet bread puddings, so I can't imagine not liking a savory version.

Kevin Kim said...

From the get-go, Adam Ragusea calls stuffing a kind of bread pudding.

Sam the Cooking Guy, meanwhile, has released a Thanksgiving video in which he makes stuffing via the stovetop method (i.e., how I normally do it, moistening the bread with broth and not custard).

With all the talk of potential food poisoning from putting stuffing inside a turkey, what animals would you stuff?

Charles said...

Chickens, mostly. I'm not really a huge fan of turkey anyway.

Kevin Kim said...

I see why you're okay with missing out on Thanksgiving: you dislike or actively hate half the menu! Sweet-potato casserole? Never! Stuffing? Only conditionally! Turkey? Not a fan of the tryptophan! I can only imagine your opinion of creamed corn, green beans, glazed ham, etc., but I do remember that you like cranberry sauce (as long as it's not too sweet).