Wednesday, November 22, 2023

walk-blog housekeeping: Phase One done!

For my most recent walk blog, Kevin's Walk 7, there are several housekeeping items left to take care of. Phase One: upload all of the pics from every day of the Four Rivers walk to create day-by-day photo essays. Phase Two: enlarge the pics for the convenience of the blog reader. Phase Three: write captions for most of the photos. (The postmortem, which is still not written, counts as a separate thing. I have spoken.)

I'm happy to report that Phase One is finally done. Uploading pics from my phone takes a million years over WiFi, especially in my apartment building, where internet service is molasses-slow despite Korea's reputation as a blazing-fast broadband superpower. (I really wish Korea had something like Verizon FiOS. Instead, whatever service my building uses reminds me of when I had no choice but to hook up with Comcast back when I lived in Front Royal, Virginia.) Over the past eleven days, I've managed to upload pics at a rate of 1-3 walk days' worth of photos per day. At the office, WiFi is slightly faster; at my place, WiFi is absurdly slow, with a single day's worth of pics taking hours to upload.

With Phase One being done, this means all my pictures are now available for perusal. If you're too impatient to wait for resizing and captions, you can revisit each day of the walk, click on the first pic of each photo essay (labeled "PHOTO ESSAY"), and view the whole thing as a slideshow.* When the captions (and extra text) appear, there'll be explanation of the Korean writing you're seeing plus some behind-the-scenes exposition offering background and context, essentially fleshing out the walk in greater detail. If you go into slideshow mode, you miss all of that, but ultimately, how you view those pics is totally up to you.

Enlarging the pics and adding captions is going to take much longer than the upload did. I doubt I'll be done until sometime in December at the earliest. Bear with me, and we'll all get to the end eventually. My apologies for the inconvenience (Korean signs often say, "We're giving you inconvenience, so we're sorry"). Hang in there.

__________

*All of my blogs have sidebars. Look on the right-hand sidebar for the blog archive. This walk started in October, so go to "October 2023" on the sidebar archive, open the drop-down, and look for "Day 1, Leg 1." Your journey will begin there.



3 comments:

John Mac said...

Queued up and ready to view! Much respect for all the time and effort you've invested in this project.

Charles said...

Weird that you have such slow wifi. The wifi at my place and at school is blazing. I just ran a test on my speeds and I am getting over 300 Mbps down and over 400 Mbps up.

One difference I've seen between Korean and American wifi is that the US seems to throttle upload speeds. My brother has pretty fast download speeds (similar to mine), but his upload speeds are maybe a tenth of that. So I'm not sure if having something like Verizon would help all that much with the uploads anyway.

(Actually, now I am wondering... is it possible that your provider is throttling upload speeds? I've never heard of that in Korea before, but if it takes that long to upload stuff, that might be the case. You should run a speed test to see what the number say.)

Kevin Kim said...

Charles,

Speedtest.net says:

Download = 84.7 Mbps
Upload = 22.43 Mbps

Molasses-slow. Sometimes, even YouTube viewing is affected if the buffering is too slow.