Tuesday, March 19, 2024

President Shambles: 46 minutes in

We now get to the "fax machine" part of the exchange, in which Joe Biden (so his critics claim) seems unfamiliar with fax machines. Page 41 of the transcript:

[0 : 46:41.8]

MR. HUR: And now I have a similar set of questions with respect to the lake house in Wilmington. So, when you were serving as Vice President, did you have -- did you bring classified material with you from the West Wing or the Naval Observatory to the lake house?

PRESIDENT BIDEN: Occasionally, because I did a lot of business from there. If you're in there for 99 hours, or whatever the hell you were, with 375 people, or whatever the number was -- I'm teasing you.

(Laughter)

PRESIDENT BIDEN: You left everything in place. I just hope you didn't find any risqué pictures of my wife in a bathing suit. Which you probably did. She's beautiful. But all kidding aside, I have a library, and the library has a -- two filing cabinets in it, and it has built into the walls -- when I built that home, built into the walls, a space for a copy machine, for a -- what do you call it, when they send these --

MR. SISKEL: Fax machine.

PRESIDENT BIDEN: Fax machine. I have shelves that I have, I have binders like this in it that I put together that aren't classified. They're about speeches that I made on this matter, speeches I made on that matter.

PRESIDENT BIDEN: I just warn you all, never make one great eulogy, because you get asked to do everybody's eulogy.

(Laughter)

So Biden glitched on the term "fax machine," but I've glitched like that before myself, blanking on a specific phrase. This in itself isn't nearly as earth-shaking as the previous geezer moment. It certainly doesn't mean he doesn't know what a fax machine is; it's more that he simply couldn't find the word for it in his rusty, creakily turning Rolodex of mental vocabulary.

Not the best look, but not the worst look. I really could've done without the visual of Taco Jill in a bathing suit, though. "Risqué" to whom? You can keep her, Joe!



1 comment:

John Mac said...

I had a pithy comment to make, but now I can't remember what it was.